Under joint governance, employee and employer sponsor organizations share control of PSPP design and funding. These organizations appoint members to the PSPP Sponsor Board (Sponsor Board) by giving notice to PSPP Corporation (the Corporation). There is equal representation of employee and employer groups on the Sponsor Board:
- Four employee representatives
- Mike Dempsey, Jason Heistad, and Justin Huseby were appointed by the Alberta Union of Provincial Employees.
- Alex Long was appointed by the University of Alberta Non-Academic Staff Association.
- Four employer representatives
- Shannon Marchand, Dan Stadlwieser, and David Williams were appointed by the Government of Alberta.
- Mike Van Hee was appointed by the University of Calgary. (Note: The power to appoint one representative to the Sponsor Board rotates every three years between the University of Alberta and the University of Calgary.)
Dan Stadlwieser is the Chair of the Sponsor Board, and Justin Huseby is Vice-Chair.