Disability Pensions

If you can no longer work because of a disability, you may be able to collect a PSPP disability pension.

To qualify, you must:

  • have been an active or deferred member of PSPP or a CPS-related plan before July 1, 2007;
  • have at least two years of PSPP pensionable service or CPS (vested);
  • if deferred, have left your funds with PSPP;
  • not be able to perform your regular work duties because of physical or mental inability; and
  • not be receiving or eligible to receive benefits under another disability plan as detailed below.

You can apply to receive a partial or total disability pension between the ages of 55 and 65. If you are over 55 and entitled to an unreduced pension, you can apply to begin your regular PSPP pension.

A disability pension is based on your highest average salary and years of pensionable service. The pension will be paid for your lifetime unless you no longer qualify for a disability pension. Once your disability pension begins, we will contact you occasionally to verify that you still qualify.

How to Apply

If your doctor(s) determine that your ability to work is impacted, you are both required to complete the Disability Retirement Benefits Application Form. Your doctor(s) will also be required to supply a separate Confidential Medical Statement, at your cost. These documents will be reviewed by an independent medical consultant.

Benefits from Another Disability Plan

If you meet the criteria above but are receiving benefits under a filed LTDI plan, you are not eligible for a PSPP disability pension.

You'll remain active in PSPP while receiving LTDI benefits. You must make contributions to PSPP during this period and you will continue to earn pensionable service.

LTDI benefits include Workers' Compensation Board (WCB) temporary disability benefits.

If you work for the Government of Alberta, your employer's LTDI plan is filed with APS. If you work for another employer, you will need to check with them to see if their LTDI plan is filed.

Contact us if you need more information.