Right of Recourse

Have you recently been denied a request that affects your pension benefit?

If you disagree with any decision made by the pension benefit administrator, Alberta Pensions Services Corporation (APS), that affects your pension plan status or pension payments, you may have that decision reviewed by APS.

Right of Recourse Steps

  1. Seek an Explanation

    If you have a concern with a decision by APS and want more information, contact us by phone or send a message through the Secure Mailbox on mypensionplan.ca. We will answer your questions or explain the Plan rules.

  2. Request an Initial Review by APS

    If you believe APS may have overlooked some important information in your request or feel there are extenuating circumstances that were not considered, you can ask for a review of the decision. This second look at your request might help to clarify either your concern or APS’ decision.

    To initiate an initial review by APS, write a letter to:

    Client Service Advocate c/o Alberta Pensions Services Corporation
    5103 Windermere Boulevard SW
    Edmonton, AB T6W 0S9

    or contact APS through the Secure Mailbox on mypensionplan.ca.

    Ask for an initial review of the decision. Be sure to detail your concern with the decision and why you believe it should be reviewed. Please also include your name, address and employer, if applicable, in the letter.

    Your request for an initial review by APS should be made in writing within 30 days from the date you were informed of the decision with which you disagree.

  3. Initial Review Findings

    APS will closely examine your request, the information in your file and the decision, to ensure the Plan's legislation and/or APS' administrative procedures and policies have been correctly followed and applied. APS will then respond to you in writing with its findings.